Thursday, January 12, 2012

Embellished Ribbon Tutorial


I was making myself an apron the other day (using this easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy tutorial), and I goofed up while I was making the apron ties (ok, not so easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy).  I ruined the very last of the fabric I had, and so I improvised.  I figured I could raid my ribbon stash - I had to have something that would go.  And I did.  But who wants boring old brown?  Or boring old blue?  Not ME!  I decided to embellish my ribbon ties, and photographed the super easy steps (even easier than the easy apron tutorial!), so you could try it, too!

What you'll need:

7/8" grosgrain ribbon (or 1 1/2")
3/8" grosgrain ribbon (contrasting color) (or wider if you use 1 1/2" ribbon above)
coordinating thread
lighter


What you'll do:

  1. Cut equal lengths of the two widths of ribbon

  2. Heat seal the ribbon ends by (carefully) melting the ends near a lighter.  To do this, hold the cut end of ribbon parallel to the flame.  Get the ribbon near the flame, but not touching the flame.  The goal is to melt the ribbon end so it won't fray.  No need to start any fires!  (But if you do, extinguish it quickly with your tough, calloused, crafty fingers).  

  3. Center the narrow ribbon on top, pin it in place, using several pins.



     
  4. Set your zig zag for 6.5 mm with a stitch length of 4 mm.  You can tinker with this to get the look you want - just use a test strip of ribbon.  6.5 mm is just a bit narrower than the 3/8" ribbon.

  5. If your sewing machine has a lock stitch option, now is the time to use it!  If not, just backstitch.  Center your ribbon in your sewing machine, and go!


  6. Voila!  Ta da!  Yadda yadda yadda.

No comments:

Post a Comment